Yep, it’s fine that a sub-task is clearly part of an Epic because its parent is, and it should be in the same version(s) as its parent, the same sprint, and so-on, it’s pretty dumb that we can’t report on that clearly.
How do I add a subtask to an epic in Jira?
Create a subtask
- Open the issue you’d like to be the parent issue.
- Select Create subtask ( ) under the issue summary.
- Add an issue summary and select Create.
if you want to link sub-task from another story / Task / Bug / Defect you can link them by using “Link Issue” beside the “Create Subtask” option.
Can you have sub epics in Jira?
No, the heirarchy in plain Jira is Epic -> Story -> Sub–task. If you want more, you’ll need one of the apps that enable more layers – Structure or Portfolio for example. … The new Epic stays subordinate to parent Epic but can now contain stories of its own.
How do I create a sub task in epic?
Begin typing to find and create labels or press down to select a suggested label. Epic Link A subtask cannot be assigned to an epic. Choose an epic to assign this issue to.
In most cases I would say that bugs should be linked to the stories that are part of the Epic and you could use “blocks” for bugs that block the Story from being consider releasable and “relates to” to those that don’t block the release of the feature. You can then use JQL filters to know when a Story is complete.
How do Jira subtasks work?
A subtask can be created for an issue to either split the issue into smaller chunks or to allow various aspects of an issue to be assigned to different people. If you find a subtask is holding up the resolution of an issue, you can convert the subtask to an issue, to allow it to be worked on independently.
How do I enable subtasks in Jira?
- Log in as a user with the Jira Administrators global permission.
- Choose Administration ( ) > Issues. Select Issue Types > Sub-Tasks to open the Sub-Tasks page.
- Click the ‘Enable’ Sub-Tasks link. The page will reload and inform you that the sub-tasks are now enabled.
How do I move a subtask to a task in Jira?
- Change your board view to make sub-tasks visible with Group By.
- Select the sub-task you want to convert.
- Under the … menu at the right side, select Move.
- Change the type from sub-task to task.
- Select Next > Next > Confirm to make the change.
- Acknowledge when done.
What is a sub-task in Jira?
A sub-task is nothing but a division of a parent issue (task) into chunks of work that can be assigned and tracked individually. Sub-Tasks In JIRA. Types Of Sub-Tasks. Procedure To Create A Sub-Task. Procedure To Convert A Standalone Issue Into A Sub-task.