Does Slack actually delete messages?
Slack will keep all messages, but will not track message edits or deletions. Slack will delete messages following the custom time frame you choose.
Why do my Slack conversations disappear?
Once you have more than 11 direct messages (DMs) or group DMs open, any additional direct messages are expected to fall off the list if the DM is not opened during your current session, there has been no activity in the DM in the past week, or there are no unread messages in the DM.
How long are Slack messages kept?
By default, Slack will retain all messages and files (including audio and video clips) for the lifetime of your workspace. If you like, you can adjust your retention settings to automatically delete messages and files after a set amount of time.
How can I see old Slack messages?
Getting started with retrieving messages
- Load up the settings for your app from the app management page.
- In the navigation menu, choose the OAuth & Permissions feature.
- Scroll down to the Scopes section, and pick channels:read and channels:history from the drop down menu.
- Click save changes.
How do I delete old Slack messages?
How to delete Slack messages on a computer
- Open up Slack.
- Hover your cursor over the message you want to delete, and click the three dots that appear to the right of the message.
- Select “Delete message” from the menu that appears. …
- Confirm your decision by clicking “Delete” in the pop-up that appears.
Can boss see deleted Slack messages?
In brief, yes, but they can’t actively read your messages as you send them. Slack allows employers to download and export Slack conversations, whether they’re public or private, into zip files. Of course, they must comply with the law before downloading any private data from their employees.